Automating Anacron (was: Should packages depend on cron?)

> > Aside: should "automatic" anacron support be considered desirable?
> > [I suspect that this is too personal to automate.]
>
> I also thought about this. Since the /etc/cron.* files are used by a lot
> of packages, anacron is really essential for all people that don't run
> their systems 24 hours a day.

I think it would be a good idea if anacron could automatically do the
things in /etc/cron.* at the proper intervals (assuming cron hasn't already
done them -- anacron would have to check somehow).

Tasks that might use a lot of battery power (like updating the "locatedb")
might have a utility script they call to determine if they should run
their high-power-consumption functions.  This script could check to see
if its on line-power or whatever is appropriate.

Anacron also needs to schedule these things way in the background so as
to impact the user as little as possible.  So should cron, too, I think.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )