Re: Non-free, Contrib and CDs (Was Re: GNU Win32? Not anymore.)

Christian Schwarz wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, Herbert Xu wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > I think it would be ludicrous if someone bought a Debian CD that had
> > (say) KDE on it (presumably in contrib) and found that it won't work
> > because the QT libraries that it depends on (whose authors have declared
> > that it can be sold on CDs) is in non-free and thus not on the CD.
>
> Well, that's the reason why the package is in "contrib", and not in
> "main". People have to live with that.

Even when we could simply move QT to contrib at no cost to ourselves? I don't
think that it would be proper if a package that can be distributed on CDs
(and which our maintainer has actually asked the authors about) isn't
distributed simply because we've placed it in non-free together with others
that can't and provide the advice that CDROM producers skip the section if they
don't ask the authors.

Home Page: http://greathan.apana.org.au/~herbert/
PGP Key: http://greathan.apana.org.au/~herbert/pubkey.txt