Re: Uploaded ld.so 1.8.10-2.1 (source i386) to master

On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de>
> > I second that. And it's current policy anyways (cf. Debian Developer's
> > Reference, section 3.3 Interim Releases):
> >
> > ``Maintainers other than the usual package maintainer should make as few
> > changes to the package as possible, and they should always send a unified
> > context diff (diff -u) detailing their changes to the bug tracking system
> > properly flagged with the correct package so that the usual maintainer is
> > kept aware of the situation.''
>
> I think the security manager needs to have the authority to make
> changes to packages when he feels it's necessary. Response time to bugs
> that have been generally known for months is not an issue so much as is
> response time to bugs we're just finding out about. If the package maintainer
> doesn't like the fix, it's up to the package maintainer to issue a subsequent
> package.
>
> The security manager should coordinate with package maintainers, and get them
> to do the fix if they can do so in a timely fashion, but it's his call if
> something needs to be fixed rigt away and he decides to fix it on his own.

I agree that the security manager has the authority to make interim
releases without asking on debian-devel or the maintainer in "emergency
situation". However, even the security manager has to follow our policy in
that case. That is, he/she has to file a bug report against the package
providing info and a u-diff for the maintainer about the changes he/she
has done.

> Please modify the policy manual accordingly.

If there are no objections, I'll add that to the "Developers reference
manual".

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com