source dependencies

hy.

we should implement source dependencies as soon as possible.
the easiest way is, to add a Source-Depends: line to all control files,
and change the scripts to add this information to dsc and changes files.

one part of source dependencies are programs and header files needed to
compile. so we should start with creating a list, what we consider
alway available (gcc, binutils, perl, awk, bash, libc-dev, make,
fileutils, textutils, findutils, kernel-headers).

so we will list most *-dev files, and other utilities (debiandoc-sgml,
flex, yacc, bison). we should either have one of the lexx and yacc tools
in the default set, or use a virtual-package-name for that (if we don't
have one yet).

the second part of source dependencies are needs for source code of
other programs. my proposal is : list these with the prefix "source:" in
the source dependency list. the program should access the source of the
other package as "../package/"
(so we need a symlink package -> package-version").

should we have virtual package names with this second part ?
we should allow them, but only for depending on one program with several
version numbers (e.g. depend on kernel-source). in this case the
maintainer of this packages should somehow rule what version is used.
(other virtual dependencies make no sence to me).

comments ?

can someone please look at the dpkg* tools, whether they need changes ?
(i don't speak perl).

isn't the deity team working in that direction ? can someone give us a
status report on that topic.

in my opinion we should decide real soon now, if we want source
dependencies and auto compiling for debian 2.0. and if we want, we
should start now by building a team of voluntears to go through all
packages and make the necessary changes in coordination with the package
maintainers. work on this topic should maybe have it's own mailing list.

todo (in this order)
 - make a decision
 - find machines (one per plattform) for source dependencies
 - find voluntears, create a mailing list
 - create a policy for source dependencies and auto compiling
 - start auto compiling on all files in incoming and in hamm
 - check all packages : fix bugs in auto compiling (if there are any),
	add source dependencies
 - submit patches to the developer (via the bug reporting system ?)
 - make non maintainer releases (if the maintainer is busy / on
   vocation / ...)
 - build a distribution of auto compiled packages
 - test
 - test
 - test
 - test
 - fix bugs (if there are any left) and go back to build a distribution.
   compiling. if so, stop uploading binaries, replace distriution with
   auto compiled. activate feeding incoming to auto compilers.
 - work done.

comments ?

it's possible. it's not hard work, but it's work. it's too much work for
two or three maintainers, but with a dozend it would but only a few
hours of work per maintainer.

we have enough time to do this for debian 2.0, if we start soon.

andreas