Re: Non-free, Contrib and CDs (Was Re: GNU Win32? Not anymore.)

From: Alex Yukhimets <aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu>
> "Social contract" is an example of using "non-free" term in two
> _different_ meanings interchangeably. (As _all_ the software that does not
> conform with "free software guidelines", and as a _subset_ of this
> software, still suitable to be placed under non-free directory).

Oh. I see what you are getting at. The "non-free" directory is the
directory of software that doesn't meet the free software guidelines
but we still have the right to put it on our FTP site. This is a subset
of the broader category of non-free software. We don't have the right to
put Applixware's SDK in the "non-free" directory on our FTP site, although
it is non-free by our guidelines. Socrates is a man, but not all men are
Socrates :-)

I'm really loath to reopen the discussion on the guidelines at this
time, and I don't think this issue merits it.

The above could merit a note in the developer's documentation for the
Talmudic Interpreters among us. I don't see that it merits more than that.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@pixar.com   510-215-3502