Re: Non-free, Contrib and CDs (Was Re: GNU Win32? Not anymore.)

I've been thinking about this.  In a way, Contrib stuff should be similar
to non-free.

What is contrib normally?  Contrib is stuff that would
belong in Debian accept that their some things that preclude them from
being in the main dist.

What could these things be?  It could be that they depend on things in
non-free, like QT.  It could be that they are free, but they don't fit in
with the rest of the dist.  It could be, (at least in some people
opinions) programs which are free for some uses, but not for others.
Personally, I agree with this, especially if contrib's definition is
"things that don't fit in with the main Dist."  Why?  because why don't
they fit in.  They don't fit in because they arn't "free".  However are
they non-free, many people would like to argue no.  In reality, only the
main distribution should be included on the Official, or is that oficial
;-), CD, since Contrib is by definition not debian.  However, I do think
that we should include it on the CD along with the parts of non-free that
we can, not as being part of Debian, but as a service to our users.  Once
we view both contrib and non-free as not being Debian, it might be easier
to organize them better.

Just my 2 cents,

Shaya