PVM copyright

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, joost witteveen wrote:

> >    I'm preparing packages for DQS (the Distributed Queueing System) and
> > PVM (parallel virtual machine).  Both can go into main.  PVM's copyright
> > has the "use, copy, modify, and distribute without fee" phrase.
>
> That means it cannot go into main, though. CD manufactuers have to
> be able to sell (and make profit) the CD.

   A lot of free software is covered by this sort of license.
non-free *really* doesn't describe this.  Few licenses specifically
mention inclusion on a commercial CD.  I'll ask the authors of PVM for
clarification on the duplication point, as I've already done with DQS.
PVM is widely distributed with system software on large commercial
systems - whether that's under a different license I don't know offhand.

/usr/doc/pvm/copyright
----------------------

This package was debianized by Drake Diedrich Drake.Diedrich@anu.edu.au on
Tue,  8 Jul 1997 11:56:15 +1000.

It was downloaded from http://www.epm.ornl.gov/pvm/pvm_home.html

Copyright:

         PVM version 3.3:  Parallel Virtual Machine System
               University of Tennessee, Knoxville TN.
           Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge TN.
                   Emory University, Atlanta GA.
      Authors:  A. L. Beguelin, J. J. Dongarra, G. A. Geist,
    W. C. Jiang, R. J. Manchek, B. K. Moore, and V. S. Sunderam
                   (C) 1992 All Rights Reserved

                              NOTICE

 Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and
 its documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted
 provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and
 that both the copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
 supporting documentation.

 Neither the Institutions (Emory University, Oak Ridge National
 Laboratory, and University of Tennessee) nor the Authors make any
 representations about the suitability of this software for any
 purpose.  This software is provided ``as is'' without express or
 implied warranty.

 PVM version 3 was funded in part by the U.S. Department of Energy,
 the National Science Foundation and the State of Tennessee.