Re: preparing new packages: DQS and PVM

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, joost witteveen wrote:

> >    I'm preparing packages for DQS (the Distributed Queueing System) and
> > PVM (parallel virtual machine).  Both can go into main.  PVM's copyright
> > has the "use, copy, modify, and distribute without fee" phrase.
>
> That means it cannot go into main, though. CD manufactuers have to
> be able to sell (and make profit) the CD.

Uh, it depends on the rest of the sentence.

For example, see the copyright file for f2c:

"    Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software
    and its documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby
    granted, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all
    copies and that both that the copyright notice and this
    permission notice and warranty disclaimer appear in supporting
    documentation, and that the names of AT&T Bell Laboratories or
    Bellcore or any of their entities not be used in advertising or
    publicity pertaining to distribution of the software without
    specific, written prior permission.
"
(In fact this paragraph, with little modifications, can be found
in many copyright files for packages in the main section)

It means that I don't have to pay a fee to use, copy, modify or
distribute it. It doesn't mean that if I use, copy, modify or
distribute it, I have to do it "not for profit".

--
Enrique Zanardi					ezanardi@noah.dfis.ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental