Re: Game score files and app-defaults files as conffiles

[Lars, hope you don't mind if we continue this discussion debian-devel. I
think this is of public intrest.]

I was discussing this with Lars in private mail: Should we restrict
conffiles to live in /etc _only_? Currently a few programs install
conffiles outside of /etc:

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> Christian Schwarz:
> > So what's the problem with score files as conffiles?
[some games tag their score files as "conffiles", some don't]

> They aren't really configuration files, which makes me uneasy
> on principal grounds. But I don't know if this is something that
> needs worrying about.
>
> However, if some games have score files as conffiles, and
> some do not, the situation is suboptimal, since sysadmins will
> be surprised. It would be better to have all games treat score
> files in the same way.
>
> > IMHO, the /root/.* are important
["base-files" installs the files /root/.bash* as conffiles]

> I'd prefer they didn't exist at all (there's nothing there that
> is necessary, and couldn't be done in /etc/profile), since it
> tends to be a surprise to the sysadmin that they're conffiles.
>
> > as is /var/yp/Makefile.
>
> Would it work if /var/yp/Makefile would be a symlink to, say,
> /etc/yp/Makefile, and sysadmins would edit /etc/yp/Makefile
> instead? This would make it easier to backup the configuration
> of a system.

What do others think about this?

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/