fiat mode on /etc vs. /usr/etc argument, and system configuration

I've been watching the /etc and /usr/etc argument for a while. It's been
very noisy. A somewhat less noisy argument has been happening on
debian-admintool about the general topic of configuration.

It's very clear that we aren't coming to any kind of convergence. My job
is to step in when that is happening and get the project going in a
constructive direction.

I am personaly assuming the technical direction for the Debian configuration
architecture. I will make technical decisions with your input, and will
help volunteers define their tasks.

So here's the first direction: Those who are interested in this argument
should move discussion to debian-admintool. We will be drafting a needs
statement there to define what we are out to do.

	Thanks

	Bruce Perens
--
Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@pixar.com   510-215-3502