Re: /etc /usr/etc: solution?

[no CCs on the repy please]
On Jul 5, Vadim Vygonets wrote
> On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Lalo Martins wrote:
> > Also I don't know if Debian's "/etc/init.d" and "/etc/rc*" policies would
> > work for non-/usr workstations on boot.
>
> Why would /etc/init.d and /etc/rc* policies matter?
>
> > Just an idea... probably most packages used here wouldn't need modification,
> > but what goes is a different _set_ of packages.
>
> Why?

I could explain my idea better, but you got it wrong and improved it a lot
:-) instead of a different package set, you could just patch the install
disks to be able to look for the base.tgz somewhere else over NFS. So the
site admin can choose what _he_ thinks is a basical workstation setup.

> > Oh yes... /var/lib/dpkg would also be a problem ;-)
>
> Well, if we have the `see above` solution for workstation, then this
> directory will only exist at the fileserver.  No problem.

This is important. If this policy ever gets adopted, you have to note
somewhere that /var/lib/dpkg _must_ be NFS-mounted.

[]s,
                                               +----
--
              I walk the maze of moments...