Re: /etc /usr/etc: solution?

On Sat, 5 Jul 1997, Alex Yukhimets wrote:

> > By default, programs don't install the config files in /etc.  The
> > judgement is basically like this: look at the program source.  If the
> > program installs its config file (on other Unices) somewhere in /usr,
> > move it to /usr/bin; if it installs the conffile in /etc (some other
>                   ^^^
>              /usr/etc maybe?

Sure.  I was typing too much before.

> > place on the root partition where conffiles live?), let it stay in
> > /etc.  When in doubt, contact debian-devel.
> >
> > > Guys, let's keep eyes on the ball and postpone the solution of this
> > > problem till it would actually be a problem. Meanwhile someone
> > > (Vadim ?) could develop a package containing utilities which would
> > > simplify task of maintainence and administration of large network
> > > environments.
> >
> > What do you mean, actually a problem?  It is.  For me, at least, and,
> > I believe, for many people.  And what do you mean by simplifying the
> > maintainance and admining of large networks?  If you tell me what
> > package exactly you want to see, maybe I'll make it.  And please,
> > let's not postpone the solution of this problem -- I want to improve
> > Debian ASAP, in all the directions (as long as they lead towards good,
> > compatible and easy-to-manage distribution).
>
> Great, we actually have an agreement here!
> Vadim, let's look a little further:
>  do we also agree that after all each distribution must serve the needs of
>  users and not sysadmins? Good.

First time I hear this.  Sysadmins are somewhat users too.  And the
distribution must serve both of them.  Microsoft operating system
serve Billy the Kid, and I don't know to which of these categories he
belongs ;)

> Would you care to install on your easy-to-manage Debian network some
> commercial software for your users (Motif, XRT PDS, etc.)? I hope so.

Yes.

> Do you realize that ALL these software will not be available for libc6
> environment for quite long time? What would your users tell you when they
> find out that -altdev and altgcc just don't work?

I heard no complaints about altdev and altgcc...

> And this is only one example. Unfortunately Debian has many more problems
> than just convenience of administration which are not properly addressed
> yet. The main one is lack of compatibility and support for the systems
> using commercial software.

Ok, I agree, but some people care more about this problem, some about
that problem, and I, personally, want to solve the problems I point
to, because I care about them much, and I feel I understand more about
them.

> Now, regarding your proposition on installation disk modification.
> Why don't you make an alternative network installation package?
> It is not something to be discussed by Debian community at large.

I think it is.  Because it is about how it must look, not about what
code to insert there.  I will gladly help the bootdisk maintainer,
maybe writing some code for it.  Or I can write the script which will
make the root partition image.  No problem.  But I think that Debian
community may contribute their ideas (some brilliant, some immediately
rejected) to this question.  Or they can reject my proposal and tell
me that A, B, C and D, and therefore it doesn't belong to whatever.

And I don't think that we must make alternative network installation
package, but modify the existing one.

Vadik.

--
Vadim Vygonets * vadik@cs.huji.ac.il * vadik@debian.org * Unix admin
The fish doesn't think, because the fish knows...  everything.