Re: Proposal: /etc /usr/etc /usr/local/etc

On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Bill Mitchell wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Jul 1997, Vadim Vygonets wrote:
> > On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, Bill Mitchell wrote:
> [...]
> > > If implemented by adding a new confopen() function to libc,
> [...]
> > Don't add it to libc, please.  Add it to the packages.  And the
> > benefits are that you don't touch the root partition after
> > installation of new program in /usr, and you keep /etc as clean and
> > small as possible.
>
> Doesn't this bring us back to making debian a wierd linux variant
> which would require debian-unique coding practices for programs
> which use conffiles to work?

We already change the location of conffiles, documentation and other
files, we already patch programs, we already add debian/ directory to
the source tree...  Adding one function (which will come to you ready
from Debian site, or with dpkg-dev package) is IMO not so difficult.

In the beginning, I proposed to just move some into /usr/etc, and
close the deal.  But some people didn't agree.  Then, think: Yann's
proposal is the most simple, clean and nice of all (except mine,
hehe:).  And flexible!  Respectful to the good traditions of Unix, and
liberal, at the same time.

Vadik.

--
Vadim Vygonets * vadik@cs.huji.ac.il * vadik@debian.org * Unix admin
The fish doesn't think, because the fish knows...  everything.