Re: Debian Policy based on the wrong technical assumptions

'Bruce Perens wrote:'

>> Requiring a web server for reading documentation is overkill.
>
>I don't think so. It's part of the price you _sometimes_ must pay if you
[Deletia]

>I don't understand why so many people are made all hot by this topic.

Because no one has tried to accommodate all points of view to date.  I
think we should have a non-commital policy until we reach consensus.
Here is my quick sketch (I'm some 2000 emails behind, so pardon my
cursory sketch):

Debian Policy is to provide documentation in html format, etc, etc.

The primary method Debian uses to display documentation is via a small
web server and browser.

However, we recognize that running a web server does not suit every
site policy.  Hence Debian supports as an alternative using XYZ
browser(s) on the local filesystem.

I think we can support multiple independent approaches.  Over time we
might choose one, but for now I'd prefer to see choices.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley          |  Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com                   |  Design Science Revolutionary