doc-base: next proposal for doc policy

Christian Schwarz writes:
 >    - we can't afford lots of new packages (there are too many to
 >      handle anyways!)

This is just a problem because of the interface we now have. This has
already been discussed, and I think provision should be made in the
policy for the time where we'll be able to afford this.

 >     - some people need "secure" computers (can't run a web server)

How are these people's need handled, eg. for packages with
documentation ONLY as HTML ? I remember seeing there was a local HTML
browser in the distribution, but I think it uses X. I have at work a
386SX with 5Mb RAM, and want neither to run X nor a webserver under
these conditions. (Please don't ask me who's my employer ;)

 > All GNU texinfo manuals, as well as all other formats that can be
 > converted into PostScript files, should be converted into PostScript
 > compressed, and uploaded to ftp.debian.org:/debian/doc/.... (the directory
 > name will be defined soon). Since the manuals are one file each and since

Are they really all ONE file each ? I doubt it.

I second all other parts of this proposal.

Regards,
--
Yann Dirson <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>
http://monge.univ-mlv.fr/~dirson