Easier Solution: Documentation Policy

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Chris Fearnley wrote:
> The solution may be to make every package multi-package.  The
> "real" (i.e., non-doc) package would Depend on the docs to address
> Bruce's and Mark's conscern about the docs not being installed and
> leading to more tech support problems.  dselect infrastructure will
> need to be improved because our number of packages will nearly double!

Wouldnt it be easier to modify the config scripts to give the user the
option to install the documentation or not?

And I think that documentation should be included any old how.  You can
remove it by hand if you dont like it.  And if you are in a position that
you think the documention is taking up *so* much of your diskspace, you're
probably experienced enough to do a rm -rf /usr/doc/*

People who dont want documentation due to memory constraints are by far
the minority.

Don Dibos
http://www.linuxos.com/