Re: fiat mode on regarding WWW and documentation

On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> > I think the docs should be served to the browser gzipped, and damn the
> > consequences.
>
> Huh? Why not uncompress them on the server and serve them to the browser
> as HTML? That would have the advantage of working well :-)

Bandwidth/speed.  Though I know that would require hacking the browsers to
re-examine the files for parseable content after they're uncompressed
locally.

> Are we just being dogmatic?

Not exactly -- but I was escalating to ideological heights.  Which may be
the same thing, depending on your definition of dogmatic.  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |   We either learn from history or,
Purdue University                   |   uh, well, something bad will happen.