Re: RfD: Debian is not randomly installing services

On 27 Jun 1997, Mark Eichin wrote:

> > The situation looks completely different if the server has its own
> > package, like `msqld' for the server and `msql' for the client.
> Not really -- the user should still be prompted (or have some control
> over it) because the daemon package probably contains the
> *documentation* for the daemon!  I should be able to install a package
> in order to read the docs, and not have to run it...

However, we should probably distinguish between "local daemons" and
"network daemons". I think it is pretty safe to start "lpd" on every
machine, since the default configuration would not accept queries from
foreign hosts. If I install the "lpd" package, I would not like to be
asked whether this daemon should be started!

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de
                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at