Re: Re^6: Status of Debian Policy

On 25 Jun 1997, Marco Budde wrote:

> Am 23.06.97 schrieb pdm # informatics.muni.cz ...
> MZ> - Limited possibilities of handling gzip files (typing xxx.html
> MZ>   doesn't find xxx.html.gz) => problems with links (may be solvable by
> Right, but typing xxx.html.gz will work! We can write a litte sed script
> to change the links from xxx.html to xxx.html.gz inside the documents.

What do the popular http daemons do about this?  I think a good solution
would be:

For every .html request that comes in (or perhaps for any request in
general), look for a file fitting the traditional spec.

If that fails, look for a .gz version of that file in the same directory.

If that fails, return the usual 404 error.

Does anything already implement this?  If not, why not?

G. Branden Robinson
Purdue University