Re: fixhrefgz - tool for converting anchors to gzipped files

On Fri, 27 Jun 1997, Martin Schulze wrote:

> On Jun 27, Christian Schwarz wrote
>
> > I wrote exactly the same thing in Perl (on your request!) some time ago. I
> > have attached it to this mail.
> >
> > I don't know which version is better. It looks like Lars' implementation
> > has hard coded a lot of HTML tags for processing. Mine is based on Perl's
> > HTML::Parser class and is thus independent of any specific HTML tags.
>
> "better"?  I'm not sure if this is important.  If the tool should
> be used on every system, we should use the perl tool.  We cannot
> recommend another high-level interpreter (python) - perl should be enough.
>
> > # Currently, we have a problem with compressed HTML: we can access
> > # compressed HTML fine, but links don't work very well. The problem
> > # is that the link says "foo.html", and the actual file is
> > # "foo.html.gz",
> > # and the browsers and servers aren't intelligent enough to handle
> > # this invisibly. This means that we can't install compressed HTML, if
> > # it contains links.
>
> Wouldn't it be a cool project if we would improve all Debian used
> browsers to handle this and give back the code to the upstream
> release?  I like the idea.

Yes, but...

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:

> From: Federico Di Gregorio <fog@perosa.alpcom.it>
> To: Debian Development <debian-devel@lists.debian.org>
>
> [...]
> > > Right, but typing xxx.html.gz will work! We can write a litte sed script
> > > to change the links from xxx.html to xxx.html.gz inside the documents.
> >
> > What do the popular http daemons do about this?  I think a good solution
> > would be:
> >
> > For every .html request that comes in (or perhaps for any request in
> > general), look for a file fitting the traditional spec.
> >
> > If that fails, look for a .gz version of that file in the same directory.
> >
> > If that fails, return the usual 404 error.
> >
> > Does anything already implement this?  If not, why not?
>
> boa support this. it even decompress on the .gz file on the fly.
> I just tryed to access http://localhost/doc/HOWTO/INFO-SHEET and
> it works!
>
> boa is also very small and really fast. i think should be the default
> httpd of choice for a small debian system.

I haven't tested this myself, but it looks like the ideal solution,
because:

1) You can compress documentation, like we want to, without having to hack
or modify it, and
2) It permits document maintainers to gunzip the html file for
modifications, and uses the uncompressed one in case they forget (or don't
want to) re-compress it.

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |   Kissing girls is a goodness.  It is a
Purdue University                   |  growing closer.  It beats the hell out