Re: Editor wars considered harmful

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.970623061006.435A-100000@citytel_prct25.citytel.net> you write:

>Show me a computer that can boot off a cdrom... and gimme a cdrom that
>will boot up debian...  And Ill buy it like a shot.

Mine will. And no, you can't have it. Most modern Award BIOSes will boot
El Torito CD images, and I believe the official Debian CDROM images are
El Torito?

>Or if anyone interested, make up a special ROM with kernel etc in it, so
>the machine will boot from ROM...  Has anyone done this?

You'd need about 512 kB of ROM. Where are you going to put it? Ethercard
boot ROMS are more like 16 kB.

Jon.
--
My email address is changing: please only use <jonr@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
from now on. My engineering userid will cease to function in the near