Re: GCC cross-compilation

Hmm.  While there are *particular* problems doing 32->64 bit cross
compilation, doing any 32->32 compilation is probably *quite* solid.
(In particular, compilers targeting the 68k are probably *better* than
the x86 native compiler -- because we've [we==Cygnus] actually had a
lot of paying 68k customers over the years funding development and bug
fixing...)

A particular example is the cross-tools for the USR PalmPilot PDA; you
can't run a native gcc in 512K or 1M, nor is there any reason to - the
cross compiler and related tools work fine... and as for testing:
all you need is a good emulator :-)  There are patches (I think
they're in 2.1.x, actually) for running executables which are
recognizably from some other architecture using an emulator, and
Andrew Tridgell's PPC emulator is good enough to boot NetBSD...  I'm
not absolutely recommending this, but it's something to keep in mind.

			_Mark_ <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
			The Herd of Kittens
			Debian X Maintainer