Re: Packaging questions regarding plan

> On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>
> > What about the motif-dummy thingie we discussed? How can I run plan having
> > Motif and not lesstif installed?  Can you make sure it doesn't Depends: on
> > lesstif, but rather on a virtual package 'motif-libs' which lesstif, and a
> > to-be-created-dummy package for Motif owners, would provide. Is that doable?
> > CC'ed this to the virtual-package-list maintainer for comments.
>
> That's a good idea! AFAIK, Motif 1.x and 2.x are quite different.
> Shouldn't we use two different virtual package names for these major
> versions? (You can't use "versions" of a virtual package, yet.)

I don't think that support for different Moitfs are needed.
All known software despite of being compiled with Motif 2.0 does not
use features not present in Motif 1.2
The reason for this is that "big unices" does not have Motif 2.0 actively
shiped from the vendors yet and using Motif 2.0 features would make your
application imposible to port. *When* situation changes, I don't think
that anyone using Motif for i386 Linux would have Motif 1.2

(And franckly speaking, 2.0 also. By that time all vendors will be
shipping 2.1 which would _hopefully_ be compiled against glibc for Linux)

Alex Y.

--
   _
 _( )_
 |    \ __/   <--   | Alexander Yukhimets   aqy6633@is5.nyu.edu |
 |        |         |       http://pages.nyu.edu/~aqy6633/      |
   |  (___)                            ooO Ooo
    \___)