Re: Problem: bash 2.01 dumps core!

It's me again...

I fixed the problem by symlinking sh to zsh and doing a "dpkg --configure -a".
ldconfig got run a couple of times, and I suspect this is what fixed the
problem because the output of ldd /bin/bash looks much saner now:

chrish@pianocktail:[~/deb] >ldd /bin/bash
        libreadline.so.2 => /lib/libc5-compat/libreadline.so.2 (0x4000b000)
        libncurses.so.3.0 => /lib/libncurses.so.3.0 (0x4002c000)
        libdl.so.1 => /lib/libdl.so.1 (0x40068000)
        libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5 (0x4006b000)

I'm still with bash 2.0, but I suspect that installing bash 2.01 won't
cause problems now.

If you want to know what changed on my system, just diff the following dpkg
--audit with the previous one:

sysadmin@pianocktail:[~chrish/deb] #dpkg --audit
The following packages are in a mess due to serious problems during
installation.  They must be reinstalled for them (and any packages
that depend on them) to function properly:
 metamail             An implementation of MIME.
 mount                Tools for mounting and manipulating filesystems.

The following packages have been unpacked but not yet configured.
They must be configured using dpkg --configure or the configure
menu option in dselect for them to work:
 libgdbm1             GNU dbm database routines (runtime version). [libc5 compa
 libc5                The Linux C library version 5 (run-time libraries).
 bash-builtins        Bash loadable builtins - headers & examples
 libreadline2         GNU readline and history libraries, run-time libraries. [
 chimera2             Web browser for X

The following packages are only half configured, probably due to problems
configuring them the first time.  The configuration should be retried using
dpkg --configure <package> or the configure menu option in dselect:
 inform               A compiler for adventure games.

Now the question is, what should be done so that this doesn't happen to
other people?

  Christian