Re: Upcoming Debian Releases

Santiago Vila Doncel <sanvila@unex.es> wrote:

>On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Brian C. White wrote:
>
>> August 31, 1997 All packages depending on libc4 or libc5 will be removed.
>
>This is too much strong. I would suggest to make their associated bug
>(the one saying "it's still libc5") "almost-critical" instead.

How about this: Have the policy dictate that no packages may be
compiled against libc4/5, and then move any packages that don't comply
with the policy to 'contrib'.  I believe that one of the reasons for
having 'contrib' is to contain packages that we -could- distribute, but
which don't fully comply with Debian policy?

Simply to get the package back into the main distribution might be
enough incentive to get packages rebuilt against libc6.  Any obscure
packages that missed getting rebuilt would end up under contrib.

In fact, just moving libc4 and 5 to contrib would force any depending
packages to go in contrib, too, without having to change policy.

--Charles Briscoe-Smith
White pages entry, with PGP key: <URL:http://alethea.ukc.ac.uk/wp?95cpb4>
PGP public keyprint: 74 68 AB 2E 1C 60 22 94  B8 21 2D 01 DE 66 13 E2