Re: Status of Debian Policy

In article <[🔎] E0wdIDb-0004ZR-00@mnb20.pet.cam.ac.uk>,
Mark Baker <mbaker@iee.org> wrote:

>In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.970615170603.1197A-100000@klee>,
>	Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:
>Currently some packages do one and some the other.
>
>>       2. Build a shared library ``libdebian'', that contains
>>          functions to lock, unlock, and test a file according to the
>>          locking method we want to use. This library should simplify
>>          the work of the MUA and MTA maintainers that need to adopt
>>          their packages. They should link their programs against
>>          this library and call the appropriate functions.
>
>Would programs _have_ to use this library, or is implementing the same thing
>in acceptable? The latter has problems in that it forces us to keep the same
>method, but I don't want to see lots of #ifdef debian appearing in the
>original source; apart from anything else it doesn't look good being
>non-standard even if what we do is superior.

SystemV has standard library functions for this. Qpopper can use them if
compiled under Solaris. So for qpopper, I just created those functions myself.
It might be a good idea to put them in a small (not shared) library, so
other programs can use them. And the changed required would not be
#ifdef debian, but #ifdef SYSV. Much better IMO.

If you have access to a sysv system (like Solaris 2.x) try "man maillock".
In fact those functions are, in Solaris at least, in a seperate library
called "libmail". We could use that as an example. Perhaps we could even get
it into GNU libc, that would make it even easier.

I'll work on that next week, for I'm going on a three day bike trip with the
local pub's motorbike gang tomorrow :)

Mike.
--
| Miquel van Smoorenburg |  "I need more space" "Well, why not move to Texas" |
| miquels@cistron.nl     |  "No, on my account, stupid." "Stupid? Uh-oh.."    |