Adding conffiles to a package

I'm stuck with the diald package, and I've got problems with users
from old versions. The thing is:
the files /etc/diald/diald.ip-{up,down} weren't conffiles, and now
they are.
Installing a new version of diald where the ip-up/down scripts are
conffiles on top of an old version where they weren't results in
overwriting of the files.

I was thinking of the following approach:
In the preinst, check for the version of the old package through the
command line parameters, if the version we're upgrading from is too
old, make backup copies of the files.
Then, in the postinst, offer to the user to either use his old
conffiles, or the new ones which come with diald.

Will that work ???

Phil.