Re: Burn Debian 1.3 on CD

I just realized that while Sam might understand that explanation, few
others on Debian-User would. So here's why when you ask about bootable
CDs I start talking about floppies. The El Torrito bootable CD format
makes your CD masquerade as a floppy during booting. Thus, you start
by constructing a bootable floppy and testing it. Once you do that, you
pass the floppy image to mkisofs. It stores the floppy image and an
index file on the CD. You then set your BIOS to boot from CD. BIOS
provides a driver that looks like a floppy, but actually accesses the
floppy disk image on the CD, using the index file to map CD blocks to
floppy blocks.

	Bruce
--
Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502