Re: FreeQt ?

Raul said:

> On Jun 1, Leland Olds wrote
> > "free" means different things to different people. Personally, I like
> > the Debian/Gnu definition.  But if someone else uses it in another way,
> > that doesn't mean that they are scammers and are trying to mislead us.
>
> Um... in principle.  On the other hand, that doesn't mean that all
> uses are ethical.

> > But calling Qt a Scam is a bit strong.  I think they make it clear that
> > they want to make money selling their product. I think it is also clear
> > that they want to use their "Free-Software" License to encourage people
> > to use and learn their product so they can sell more commercial licenses
> > later.
>
> Calling a commercial product with strong restrictions free software
> in misleading, at best.

I have not seen Troll Tech do this.  They appear to consider things
like KDE free software even though it uses Qt.  But it's clear from
their web pages that they consider Qt to be a commercial product,
albeit with a somewhat restrictive cost free license that includes
access to the Qt source code for authors of "free software".

--
Lee Olds
olds@eskimo.com