Re: FreeQt ?

> Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:
>
> > Besides, Qt is 'almost-free' software.  If it doesn't become a runaway
> > commercial success, I'd bet Troll Tech would re-release it as free
> > software after a few years.
>
> Troll is using a different economic model for generating revenue than
> other free software companies.  They get other people to write free
> software (for zero cost to them) on one platform so they can sell it
> under their own license commercially on other platforms.  They prevent
> those same authors from redistributing the free software they wrote on
> those other platforms (anything other than the X Window System).

Sorry. I have to correct this inaccuracy.

Free software authors CAN redistribute free software that they wrote on
other non-X Window systems.  They can also distribute the QT runtime
with their software on those platforms for "free".

The problem is that the toolkit cost a lot of money ($1470 US) on other
platforms.

The restrictions as I understand it are thus:
 -The free software author would have to have access to the non-free
  version of the Qt toolkit for the other platform. That is very
  expensive for the author and also for anyone who wanted to compile
  the free software.
 -Changes and patches to the Qt library itself can't be distributed
  without Troll Tech first integrating them into their product and
  "blessing" them.  Qt wants to keep ownership and control of that.
  (This is true for the X Windows platform as well.)

> The X Window System is likely to be replaced, at which point your
> Qt-based free software will become very non-free.
>
> Sounds like a losing bet.
>
> Why exactly is Qt almost-free?  It's a scam.  Just because some free
> software authors have been snookered into it, doesn't mean we should
> put all of our hopes and dreams at the whim of a company that works
> against our interests, our goals, and the free software community.
>
> If Linus, GNU, X11, or BSD had used such as license, would Debian
> exist?  Would Linux be what it is today?  No.
>
> - - Dan

Some people don't like Qt because it's not free per the debian and gnu
definition of the word. (In fact it's downright expensive for platforms
other than the X Windows system.)

But please don't oppose it with untrue and misleading statements.

Anyone interested can read the two Qt licenses for themselves at:
http://www.trolltech.no

--
Lee Olds
olds@eskimo.com