Re: Problems with inittab

On Fri, 30 May 1997, Mark Baker wrote:

> Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 13:58:00 +0100
> From: Mark Baker <mbaker@iee.org>
> To: Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de>,
>     debian-devel@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Problems with inittab
>

> In article <[🔎] Pine.HPP.3.91.970530110442.26246A-100000@hp01.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de>,
> 	Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:
> >
> > Short question inbetween:
> >
> > Why is the Debian /etc/inittab different from one use on Watchtower?
>
> Why should it be the same?

I don't mean 100% equal, just the syntax should be the same, so a inittab
working with watchtower should also work with debian. Unfortunally they
differ in syntax, so even a basic thing as starting the getty for login
fails, although the same kernel is used.

> I don't know what the Watchtower one was like (I've never had the misfortune
> to run Watchtower), but there's no reason why it should be the same. It
> depends on what gettys etc you want to start (you can also get inittab to
> start your X server for you, although the debian inittab doesn't do this by
> default) and what kind of boot scripts should be run.
>
> Look in inittab(5) for more information.
> .

-----------------[ Hello to all fans in domestic surveillance ]----------------
 security NORAD plutonium DES radar Semtex Clinton Uzi NSA domestic disruption
 smuggle kibo nuclear fissionable Legion of Doom SDI cryptographic SEAL Team 6
-----------------[ Hello to all fans in domestic surveillance ]----------------