Re: long list of give away or orphaned packages

On Wed, 28 May 1997 jwalther@citytel.net wrote:

| On another note.  Is your screening process too vigorous?  What happened
| to the EPIC irc package that was discussed here a while back?  I dont see
| it in the distribution.  Perhaps the screening process was too harsh?

I am alive and well, as is my ircii-epic package which, pending
authentication, you can get from me if you want it. It was definitely not
ready for 1.3, however, as they are not accepting even bug fixes at this
point (except for *critical* bugs).  Maybe we'll see it in 1.3.xx.  I have
not, to my knowledge been 'screened out', but am awaiting further word
from Klee, who surely has many things to do:-)

I would like to add my support to the statement that games are good
initial packages. Being most definitely non-critical to the general well
being of a Debian system, they allow you to maybe make a mistake or two
without raising someone's ire at having to fix a broken package by hand.

While it would be nice if new developers took over some orphaned packages
(I plan to), unloading a package on someone that they have no interest in,
is, IMHO, a bad thing.  If they are personally interested in it, they are
more likely to understand it well, keep it up to date, and release timely
bug fixes.

Ciao,

David Welton
davidw@efn.org  davidw@freenet.hut.fi  http://www.efn.org/~davidw
Se quest'email e` in Italiano, mi dispiace per gli errori:-) FORZA PANTANI!
			 --Debian GNU/Linux--