Re: ssh and default home directory permissions (revisited?)

Philip Hands <phil@palm.hands.com> writes:

> You can make ssh accept group writable home dirs by changing a line in
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config:
>
>   StrictModes yes
>
> needs to be changed to
>
>   StrictModes no

Unfortunately this also allows world writable home dirs.  Group
writable home dirs are usually OK with Debian:

% ls -ld ~
drwxr-xr-x  45 carey    carey        3072 May 26 21:07 /home/carey
                        ^^^^^
I've removed group write permissions from my home dir because of the
programs like qmail and ssh which don't like it.  I don't think
anything would break because of removing these permissions, so maybe
adduser should make home directories mode 755 (or 750)?

--
                Carey Evans  <*>  c.evans@clear.net.nz

	    "Lies, damn lies, and computer documentation."