Re: GOAL: Consistent Keyboard Configuration

> > For example, on my keyboard I can use the up- and down-arrow keys to
> > scroll in "less" (on the console and in an Xterm), but the PgUp and PgDn
> > keys only work in the Xterm--not on the console.
>
> Huh. I have the opposite problem: The end key doens't work in xterms!
> xterms are in my experience in this regard pathological (opposed to VCs)

This is all down to the fact that most people making up terminal emulators
plump for vt100-ish mappings.  Then they discover that real vt100's only have
four F-keys, so they go for vt220's.  Then they realise that real vt220's
don't have a code for F5 (it was the reset), and that the higher F-keys codes
make no sense, so they do one of about four things and chaos ensues.

Add to that the fact that Unix keyboards almost all generated DEL for
Backspace until SysV and Xenix came along and you really start to have fun.

All I beg is that we DON'T make Backspace generate ASCII BS (Ctrl-H).

Cheers, Phil.