Re: RFC: locking policy for Debian

On Sat, 24 May 1997, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>     Christian>  If I remember right someone else posted a Perl example
>     Christian> for right file locking--but I can't find it.
>
>  I did... it's at <URL:http://inetarena.com/~karlheg/Public>.  I don't
> know if it's _really_ the correct way to do this.  Someone who does
> know should look it over.  I've just begun learning to write programs,
> so am very uncertain about that perl program.

I just had a look at your Perl script and "lockfile" from procmail. Thanks
for writing the Perl script! It's _much_ easier to understand than the C
program :-)

But I'm no expert in this area, so perhaps someone else should check if
the Perl script suffices for our needs. (For example, the C program does
some signal handling which seems to be missing from the Perl script.)

Anyways, what about making "lockfile" the default way of locking? Everyone
could call this program via "system" (it's only 9008 bytes so we could
include it in the base system). Note that lockfile is currently setgid
mail, but I think this can be silently dropped.

>  I think that the `lockfile` program that comes with `procmail` is a
> better way to make lockfiles.  It is what I use now.
>
> Q: Does anyone know if nfs safe locking is going to be a part of the
> next Linux?

I don't know--but it doesn't really matter. We have to find a way so that
we are compatible with other UNIX's. (Imaging running a Debian sendmail on
a Solaris' exported NFS drive, etc.)

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com