Re: Proposal: New source format (was Re: [Fwd: Re: dpkg question])

Hi,
>>"Jim" == Jim Van Zandt <jrv@vanzandt.mv.com> writes:

Jim> I think the ".. pathname component" problem deserves some
Jim> attention. What does anybody think about these steps?

Jim> 1) Incoming Debian source packages should be automatically
Jim> scanned, and offending files flagged.

Jim> 2) GNU tar should refuse to unpack such a tar file, unless
Jim> enabled by a switch.

Jim> 3) GNU tar should refuse to create such a tar file, unless
Jim> enabled by a switch.

	I hope you mean ask the upstream authors to change GNU tars
 behaviour, and not that Debian should do a major change in behaviour
 on it's own. In case we even consider doing such a thing, it should
 be *off* by default, and turned on (by dpkg and friends) with a
 special switch.

	manoj
--
 "I went to a job interview the other day, the guy asked if I had any
 questions. I said yes, just one, if you're in a car traveling at the