Re: compiling with gettext

On Wed, 14 May 1997, Susan G. Kleinmann wrote:

> Yesterday I reported that I was no longer able to compile the package 'sp'.
> Santiago Vila and Tom Lees both kindly offered suggestions, but both of
> these still leave sp in an uncompilable state.
>
> Santiago pointed out that the problem might be intrinsic to the
> existing gettext-0.26, and suggested I wait til gettext-0.28 becomes
> available.  This might be a very long time, since gettext-0.26 came out
> in December.
>
> Tom pointed out that my include line:
> > > #include "/usr/share/gettext/intl/libgettext.h"
> referred to libc6 headers, which must surely have caused a problem since

No, that is the GNU gettext generic header, that is right. What I said
was, you were trying to link against libc6 but you compiled against libc5.

> I was linking with libc5.  So I changed this to
> #include "/usr/include/libintl.h".
> But this produces the same result as if I had no include line at all:

You need to make sure you are linking the libintl.h file into the right
directory, and including the right file (-I../intl, etc.).

> ../lib/libsp.a(MessageTable.o): In function `GettextMessageTable::GettextMessageTable(void)':
> MessageTable.o(.text+0x35): undefined reference to `bindtextdomain'
> ../lib/libsp.a(MessageTable.o): In function `GettextMessageTable::getText(MessageFragment const &, String<char> &) const':
> MessageTable.o(.text+0x69): undefined reference to `dgettext'

Also, you need to link with -l../intl/intl.a.

--
Tom Lees <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk>			http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/
PGP ID 87D4D065, fingerprint 2A 66 86 9D 02 4D A6 1E  B8 A2 17 9D 4F 9B 89 D6