Re: Proposal: New source format (was Re: [Fwd: Re: dpkg question])

On Sun, 11 May 1997, Joey Hess wrote:

> Lars Wirzenius:
> > They might not understand enough about shell scripts (or Perl, or
> > whatever the script is written in) and whatever tools the script uses
> > to make an informed decision of whether the script is safe. With the
> > current scheme, they only have to trust gzip, tar, patch, and chmod,
>
> And all of debian/rules. And debmake or anoy other programs called by it.
> They are planning on building this package, right?

IMHO this is where we ought to be looking to improve our source packaging
system. At least we should allow building as a non-root user as soon as
possible (using the new GNU tar).

--
Tom Lees <tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk>			http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/
PGP ID 87D4D065, fingerprint 2A 66 86 9D 02 4D A6 1E  B8 A2 17 9D 4F 9B 89 D6