compiling with gettext

I have been trying for some time to solve Bug #8882 against the 'sp'
package, which says that in order to make it buildable under glibc,
I need to call libintl as well as libnls in order to accommodate glibc,
and to define LINUX_TYPES_H for glibc.  I made those changes and could
no longer get the program to compile.  After a while I realized that
the changes were unrelated to my inability to compile the program; which
I tested by going back to the original sources and trying recompilation
without the fixes.  Sure enough, I got the same error messages:

1.  First there's a complaint about an undefined dgettext in
lib/MessageTable.cxx.  I think I bludgeoned this one by inserting the
line
#include "/usr/share/gettext/intl/libgettext.h"
in the top of that file.

2.  When I then recompile the program I get the message:
MessageTable.cxx:102: parse error before `const'
MessageTable.cxx:103: parse error before `const'
MessageTable.cxx:104: parse error before `while'
MessageTable.cxx:105: parse error before `while'

where the four lines in question are:
extern char *dgettext(const char *, const char *);
extern char *gettext(const char *);
extern char *textdomain(const char *);
extern char *bindtextdomain(const char *, const char *);

I thought I saw a message in debian-devel that gettext was now outmoded.
Perhaps this is related to my problem?  I notice that Ulrich Drepper has
version 0.27 of gettext on his server, but he still has the generic
gettext package pointing to 0.26, which is what we have in the distribution
and what I have installed.  Anyway, it would seem pretty meaningless to
me to have a package in the Debian distribution which can't even be
compiled.  If 'sp' is removed, then so should a lot of other programs
that depend on it.

If anyone could provide any pointers or advice, I'd try to upload a fixed
version very quickly.

Susan