Re: Proposal: New source format (was Re: [Fwd: Re: dpkg question])

Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:
> I think the reasoning is that each debian-revision consists of only
> small changes and patches to the upstream sources, so why re-upload
> the upstream sources.

And that's correct, and your proposal means that one would have to
download 6MB of source each time some minor thing changes in gcc, or
*35MB* of source each time something changes in X.

As someone who is doing a lot of work on a port, This Is Bad.
Especially since Mark Eichen keeps producing new builds of X.  I would
be right pissed if I had to re-download X each time.

Everybody seems to think the SRPMS thing is so cool, but let me tell
you, it's a *#^%(# pain in the ass when all you want to do is get to
the patches they made to the source, as I often wanted to do to look
at their alpha patches to stuff.  Not to mention the fact that having
fifty-'leven patches in the source file, some conditional on arch,
etc. makes it a pain for people to figure out what's going on during
the build.

I say NO.  It won't gain us anything, and it will cost us much.

Mike.
--
Michael Alan Dorman                                   Head of Systems
mdorman@calder.med.miami.edu            Louis Calder Memorial Library