Re: Proposal: New source format (was Re: [Fwd: Re: dpkg question])

Hi,

	I like the sdeb idea, but I would like to have byte-for-byte
 verifiability of upstream sources, (I think we should not rename
 upstream sources as far as possible).

	There was some discussion earlier about changing dpkg's
 handling up the upstream source such that we could use upstream
 sources unchanged (as long as they are fairly well behaved and in a
 few known formats -- tar files unpacking into . might be hard to
 handle).

	This is especially important if the upstream source is
 digitally signed -- our packaging should not invalidate that
 signature.

	manoj
--
 "The way of the world is to praise dead saints and prosecute live
 ones." Nathaniel Howe