Re: Proposal: New source format

On Sat, 10 May 1997, Jim Pick wrote:

> >  Why aren't sources packed into a single archive, the way rpms files
> > are?
>
> I think the reasoning is that each debian-revision consists of only
> small changes and patches to the upstream sources, so why re-upload
> the upstream sources.
>
> Personally, I think the whole Debian source packaging scheme needs
> a major overhaul.  Too often, the .orig.tar.gz part of the package
> gets separated from the .dsc and .diff.gz parts.

And sometimes we even loose them... (cf: the mising dld.diff.gz or
kaffe.orig.tar.gz on master)

[snip]

> Comments?

Your proposal looks good, but there's already a great source handling
system in rpm. I'm *NOT* suggesting to switch to rpm, but I really like
rpm's way to handle _source_ packages. We can probably take advantage of
a system that is known to already work (maybe not reusing 100% of it, but
at least taking the key ideas).

Within our current organisation, I can only see one flaw in it: we'll
need to be able to split the upstream source from the diff for uploading,
since I don't think many of us are willing to reupload all the sources at
each upload.

--
-  vincent@debian.org     | RENARDIAS Vincent |          vincent@waw.com  -