Re: dpkg-shlibdeps and dpkg-gencontrol "chown" problems

On May 2, Camm Maguire wrote
:
:
: Greetings!  Is anyone else having problems with the following two
: "chown" commands of dpkg-shlibdeps and dpkg-gencontrol, respectively?
:
: #    chown(@fowner, "$varlistfile.new") ||
: #	syserr("chown of \`$varlistfile.new'");
:
: #chown(@fowner, "$fileslistfile.new")
: #		|| &syserr("chown new files list file");
:
:
: When left uncommented, both trigger the syserr message, and the first
: in addition gives a "no such file" error. (substvars.new is newly
: created by the previous command.)  I run this under a user name in the
: "root" group, having changed the permissions of
: /usr/bin/{build,debpkg} to 4750.  This probably isn't a bug, but a
: configuration problem on my part, but as I don't know perl yet, I
: really can't say what it is.  Running Debian 1.2, and the following
: versions of the relevant software:

Long time ago I've added these lines to the dpkg package.   I (no
the only one) found it quiet useful when purging (as normal user)
after a package has been built.

The problems ever occures, if there's no utmp entry for the
user calling dpkg-buildpackage.  This happens sometimes on normal
shell accounts (bug reports are filed) and seems to happen for
shells, started from emacs (not verified, I don't use emacs.)

    Heiko
--
email : heiko@lotte.sax.de heiko@debian.org heiko@sax.de
pgp   : A1 7D F6 7B 69 73 48 35  E1 DE 21 A7 A8 9A 77 92