Default environment variables, etc, for programs

[ Please don't Cc: public replies to me. ]

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Nicol=E1s_Lichtmaier?=:
>  Having a directory /etc/defaults where packages can put scripts to set
> environment variables... and /etc/profile would call run-parts on this
> directory

Something like this was suggested aeons ago (I think I was one
of the people involved), complete with mechanisms to allow users
to override or exclude some of the settings. A problem: it works
only for a limited number of shells. Another: if the mechanism
exists, packages will use it, and the more packages use it,
the slower shell startup is, and the more resources it uses.

In general its much better to have all programs work without
special environment variables, aliases, or other settings
that all users must have. In cases where this can't be done,
README.debian (or some other suitable location) should explain
how what settings are necessary, and the sysadmin should make
the changes to /etc/profile, and other shell startup files (and
ideally the program should refuse to start up if the settings
have not been made).

In cases where additional settings aren't necessary, merely nice,
they should be mentioned in normal user documentation.

Or at least this is the conclusion I have reached, after
thinking about it and experimenting with various alternatives for
some months. I won't oppose an /etc/defaults (though another,
shell-specific name would be necessary), though I think it is
a bad idea.