Re: New section cdrom-able (?)

[ Please don't Cc: public replies to me. ]

Re: getting CD-ROM producers to put more of non-free on their disks.

There are, I think, too many varieties of non-free licenses
for new sections to be a viable solution. What is good for
one CD-ROM producer may not be good for another. A separate
list, README.vendors (or some better name), would be a better
solution. I imagine a list of common license requirements and
a table that says whether a package has that requirement. Something
along the lines of the following:

	License requirements (incomplete list):

	a)	Network-only distribution.
	b)	Distributor may not get paid at all.
	c)	Distributor may ask payment only to cover expenses.
	d)	Distributor may ask a "small" or "reasonable" profit.
	e)	Distributor must share profits with author.
	f)	Package is shareware (distribution is free, but use
		requires payment).
	g)	Package requires Motif (or other non-free library) to compile,
		but is linked statically (and perhaps dynamically as well).
		Distribution is free, but the compilation requirement
		prevents it from being in the main distribution.

	Package		a)	b)	c)	d)	e)	f)	g)

	aaaaa		*
	bbbbb			*
	ccccc							*
	ddddd								*

This requires someone to build the README file and to keep it
up to date when new non-free packages are released. Volunteers
should speak up. I'm afraid I don't have the time, myself.

The list should probably cover contrib as well.