Re: emacs problem

Amos Shapira <amos@dsi.co.il> writes:

> In message <[🔎] m0wIpC0-00IdU6C@golem.pixar.com> you write:
> |A Pixar user says "I can't start Emacs with a file-name. it says: "Cannot
> |open load file: vm-init". Any clues?
>
> I got the same error.
>
> In /etc/emacs/site-start.el comment out (i.e. put a ';' in front of) the
> line which says "(require 'vm-init)".

This is a problem many elisp packages have. The older convention was
to add a line (require 'package) to /etc/emacs/site-init.el.
As this is a configuration file, these changes will stay over
updating.
Each elisp package changing to the new convention using site-start.d
should look in /etc/emacs/site-init.el and remove a line like that if
it is preent. Prompting the installer to do something about it should
be a valid alternative.

        Helmut

--
Helmut Geyer                                Helmut.Geyer@iwr.uni-heidelberg.de