Re: DEITY TEAM -- REQUEST FOR FUNCTIONALITY and COMMENTS

LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk wrote:
> What I meant was this: it is apparently possible to make a series of
> selections from dselect and screw up the system.  It would be nice to
> know how things got messed up.  The stderr messages only report on
> the current state; they don't explain how you got there.  I want a
> log of all selections, deselections, etc, after starting dselect.

This feature would be nice in the dpkg(1) level - i.e. have a file
of one-liners which say which package got its status changed (installed,
updated from one version to another (which versions), removed, purged
configured, put on hold), the success of the operation (succeeded,
partially,
totally failed) and the exact time.  This should be usefull at all
levels,
even when using dpkg(1) directly (and therefore I suspect such a feature
should be added there).

This way it might be possible to "undo" back to a working state and
analyze the steps which caused things to break.

I found myself a few times wishing I had such an audit, and it
can't be too hard to add.

Cheers,

--Amos

--Amos Shapira                   | "Of course Australia was marked for
133 Shlomo Ben-Yosef st.         |  glory, for its people had been
chosen
Jerusalem 93 805                 |  by the finest judges in England."
ISRAEL            amos@dsi.co.il |                     -- Anonymous