Why don't we have a gencat?

Hi,

Would anyone happen to know why we don't have a 'gencat' binary anywhere? I
looked in the Contents file, and we have a gencat.1.gz manpage (provided by
man-db) but nothing that provides a gencat binary. Am I missing something?
What kind of tool do the people who maintain packages with message catalogs
use to compile the catalogs?

I found a package on sunsite that has source for gencat that I could
package up and upload, but I find it hard to believe that none of the
'development' GNU packages (i.e. gcc, libc, binutils) ship with such a tool
in their source.

Could people 'in the know' clue me in one way or another?

  Christian