   To: <debian-devel@lists.debian.org>
   Subject: Proposal: Using Hypernews to discuss development issues
   From: Steve Dunham <dunham@dunham.tcimet.net>
   Date: 01 Mar 1997 11:25:54 -0500

   >From time to time, various issues come up on debian-devel, there is a
   discussion, a consensus seems to be reached or the issue gets lost in
   the noise, and discussion dies off without really happening.  What we
   really need for resolving issues is a system that:

     * Allows the whole discussion to be seen at once (and hence allows
       the entire discussion to be archived)
     * Keeps each issue in a seperate discussion
     * Can be used via email (for people with poor or expensive
       connectivity)

   I was thinking about this and realized that the free system of CGI
   scripts, HyperNews, does exactly what we need.  It is a very nice,
   free system for discussion groups on the web with a bidirectional email
   gateway.  There are also security features, so we could restrict
   posting and/or reading to developers.

   The Hypernews home page is at:

     http://union.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HyperNews/get/hypernews.html

   This page is itself a hypernews forum (look at the bottom of the
   page).

   So the question is:

    What do people think? Would this improve Debian's ability to discuss
    issues?

   Steve
   dunham@cps.msu.edu