Re: device files

On Mar 28, Dale Scheetz wrote
> The makedev package controls what devices are constructable via
> /etc/devinfo and although this file is certainly modifiable by the system
> administrator, but I don't think that a package should modify it. This
> keeps the devices that a package can create under the control of the
> makedev package. Since makedev is part of the base system it will always
> be available (under normal circumstances) for other packages to use. So,
> as long as a package doesn't modify devinfo it should be able to create
> devices.

thanks. i fileld a bug report against makedev (it doesn't know about all
isdn devices, and would only create some of them (but theese with
security holes). next version of isdnutils will depend on a new makedev
and use it to create the devices.

btw: should it create cui devices (like cua, but for isdn) ? the kernel
supports it, but there is no good reason to use them. and i don't think,
that you need compatibility in this case.

regards andreas